EPF, former Ecole Polytechnique Féminine (Polytechnic School for Women), was founded in 1925, as one of France's first Grandes Ecoles to train women to be engineers. Since then, it has trained almost 10,000 graduates in every sector of industry and service. Each class has 300 students in the general curriculum and 20-30 students in double degree programmes.
EPF was founded in 1925 by the female engineer Marie-Louise Paris, under the name IEF (Institut Électromécanique Féminin - Women's Electromechanical Institute), to train young women to be electromechanical engineers. It also included a shorter programme that trained draftswomen and assistant engineers. In 1933, IEF became EPF (Polytechnic School for Women) and added an extra year of studies (moving from 2 to 3 years of study) and an aeronautics department.
A RENOWNED SCHOOL
In 1938, EPF received accreditation by CTI (Commission des titres d’ingénieur) to grant engineering degrees, and in 1943 it received recognition from the French State. In 1976, EPF became a member of the Conférence des Grandes Ecoles. In 1993, it joined the UGEI (Union des Grandes Ecoles Indépendantes) after gaining "public-interest foundation" status in 1991.
PROMOTING GENDER BALANCE
EPF began accepting male students in 1994, but its history and its expertise makes it one of the engineering schools with the highest percentage of female students (36% compared with 17% in other engineering schools).
THE SCEAUX HEAD CAMPUS
After its early days at the CNAM (Conservatoire national des arts et métiers), EPF had to move to Sceaux in 1956 (20 kms from Paris), with its address at 3 bis rue Lakanal, in Marie-Louise Paris' personal home. Since then, EPF has expanded and acquired two other sites. EPF opened a new site in Troyes (East of France), in 2010 and another one in Montpellier (South of France) in 2012.
DIVERSITY AND THE FRENCH TERRITORY.
The promotion of diversity has alwas been in the heart of the EPF project since the beginning in 1925. Renown for the high standards of its academic programs, the school has developped a special relationship with many local institutions on the french territory and also with research centers. These tight bonds led to the opening of two new campuses. On the one hand in Troyes in 2010 and on the other hand in Montpellier in 2012.