FRENCH FOR ENGINEERS PROGRAMME
Although there are many cultural aspects integrated into this course, the emphasis is based on a solid language training for people studying or working in the field of Engineering and Computer Science. Course attendance and serious study is mandatory.
The programme is divided into 3 parts
- The first and largest part is devoted to improving French language skills.
- The second part of the programme introduces the participant to the French approach to engineering and technical vocabulary.
- The third one is an introduction to France and includes brief courses on intercultural issues, France's past and present, and museum visits.
- A tourism module is not included in this programme. The museum and historical site visits that appear on the schedule are included only to illustrate specific points described in the lectures. Students are therefore strongly encouraged to arrange their own tourism before/after the programme and on weekends.
Our courses are in line with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
THE ACADEMIC PROGRAMME
Two courses will be held:
- Winter course from January to June 2019.
- Summer course from July 1st to September 6th, 2019. It is possible to attend for shorter periods (minimum 2 weeks).
|Language programmes||July 1st to September 6th 2019||From January to June 2019|
|Absolute beginners starting day||July 1st and July 29th 2019||-|
|More advanced students starting day||
Every Monday of the week during the period indicated above
|Total amount of hours per week||25 hours minimum||Custom-made courses|
8 weeks = 8 ECTS
Students following the complete 8 weeks, 160-hours course, may earn 8 ECTS credits.
- From July 1st to July 12th, classes are held at EPF - 46/60 rue du Lycée, 92330 Sceaux.
- From July 16th, classes are held at ESTP in Cachan - 28 Avenue Président Wilson 94230 Cachan.
While beginners are required to start on July 2nd or July 30th more advanced students may integrate into classes every Monday of the week during the period indicated above. Friday afternoons are free in order to allow the students to visit Paris or go on weekends.
The morning class is devoted to French language courses including French culture and civilization.
In the afternoon, there are four different types of courses offered:
Scientific vocabulary courses in French (Maths, Physics, Mechanics, etc.)
- Engineering sciences
- Conversation groups, drama, role-playing games and films in original version
- Cultural and scientific visits
- French for University studies (CV, cover letter and methodology of university works)
- French tutoring sessions
- Wine tasting
- Sports, cinema
All courses are compulsory to earn the total amount of ECTS credits.
Each class will have around 15 students.
A written and oral placement test will be completed upon arrival. We offer several levels of language. These tests are not graded. Their sole purpose is to determine your level and place you in the appropriate group. Written and oral exams are given at midterm and classes are re-organized according to the results. Final exams are given at the end of the term.
Language professors are university graduates with a solid experience in teaching French as a foreign language and they possess knowledge of foreign cultures which gives them a better understanding of their students. Technical classes are taught by EPF and ESTP professors. Students have the opportunity to acquire a solid background in scientific vocabulary (Maths, Physics, Mechanics, Computer Science etc.) to allow them to begin their further education in France with no language barriers.
Cultural classes are given by a variety of guest university lecturers.
Foreign students may find a day in our French programme longer than in their own university. 5 or 6 hours of classes per day is the average. It is a typical school day spent in a French institution. Students who come to study in France need to be prepared for long days of classes given in French. However, during our Summer and Winter programmes, we always try to leave one or two afternoons free in the schedule to allow students to do their homework and to visit Paris. Experience shows that the students’ comprehension level improves very quickly. It is a very gratifying experience.
Attendance is very important in the French school system. We are very strict on that point as we only deliver ECTS credits to students who follow the whole programme. Students who have more than 3 unjustified absences are penalized.
Academic transcripts and certificates are issued at the end of the programme.